|Hassan clearing the bed last week|
Today we put in a big effort to get the strawberry bed finished because we have 2 school groups coming on Thursday, and we wanted everything tidy and organised. Although we had already dug over the bed, doing it again revealed just how completely bindweed can take over a permanent bed. If we were farming the stuff, we would be rich by now!
|Part of our healthy bindweed crop!|
We also decided to run an experiment because of something Hassan has suggested. He noticed that when old strawberry plants develop long stems, the tops of the stems have small roots hiding amongst the leaf bases. He has apparently taken off the base of the stem and replanted them with some success, so we are trying it ourselves to see how they do. We have divided the bed into 3, with older strawberry plants with the bases removed in one part, rooted runners we potted up last year in the middle, and some of this year's runners in the other end. It will be interesting to see how they do.
|The completed bed, older plants at the near end.|